So, L had her last day of pre-school. I was the car pool driver. There are six kids from our neighborhood that all go together. It has been great. L loves it alot. I was helping all of the kids get unbuckled from the car, and L climbed out the front. I think she must have accidentally hit the lock button on the way out. I closed the side door of our van, and went to get in the drivers seat. And yep, you guessed it. I was locked out and K was locked in. She was in her carseat all nicely buckled up and the car was running. I went in to use the phone at pre-school, since my cell was locked in the car too, and called my hubby. I new he was in a meeting and would not recognize the number I was calling from anyway. So L's preschool teacher called a policeman down the street. He was on duty and his wife gave us the sheriff's number to call. (By the way, officers will only come out if there is a child locked in the car, otherwise you have to call the locksmith). I called and one officer came. K was smiling at me through the window and playing with her feet and jacket zipper. I'm sure she was thinking "why is mom standing outside in the rain, looking at me through the window?" The officer asked me if K knew how to get out of her carseat, then she could open the door. That is not something that I have taught her. He said his three year old gets out of his car seat all the time. After about 10 minutes of trying with a slim jim, another officer showed up. They each worked on different doors. K was still just sitting her carseat. About 10 minutes later, two more officers showed up. One asked "is the child crying and screaming?" I said no, she is just happy in there. He said it is too much pressure to try to get the door open with kids screaming and crying inside. So with 4 officers working on the doors, I knew one of them must be able to open the door. Just when I was thinking to have them break open a window, one opened up the passenger side door and and I could get K out. I was more panicked about the situation than she was. She never cried the entire time. I looked at my watch and it was one hour since I had pulled in to drop the kids off at pre school. I guess that it was a bonus that we had spent so much time driving a couple of weeks ago to California so K was used to being in her car seat for a long period of time. I was grateful that it was raining and not hot, then the medics didn't have to be called to check K for heat stroke or something. Thank you Sheriff's department!
{ Parker's Senior Pictures }
8 years ago
3 comments:
I am so glad it all worked out! A few months ago our puppy locked me out--yes our puppy. I got out, he jumped up to look out the window and hit the lock. Then I did it right after only I was in my garage, and "L" was inside--yep! However, around here they send a police man---but he calls the lock smith---they will NOT do it! so, "L" just looked at the weird man knocking on the window and talking to him and then cried--I kept thinking...leave him alone, he would not cry if you---a strange man---were not looking at him and knocking on his window.! ugh!! I am grateful he came and tried to help though! Then I did it a few weeks ago at Ashley's house--no kids in the car this time. shees---I need to invest in alot of extra keys!
Robyn! It's Rachel Berry!!!!! Your blogging! I love it, now I can keep track of how your family is doing seeing as I NEVER call you. I know I'm a slacker. But come on I have 5 kids, that's a good excuse as any isn't it? ;) Well I should be getting to bed. I hope you see this and POST soon! Can't wait to talk to you -via la' blogs that is.
Take care
Rachel.
robyn--are you aout there? update baby! i miss you all and want to know what is going on!!!!
Post a Comment