I am the Young Women's president in our ward. For a Laurel activity, we recently went to a modest prom dress fashion show. It was great. The girls all had fun and there were really lots of amazing dresses. So what makes me feel old? The fact that my last prom experience was 17 years ago? It also happens to be the year that many of the laurels were born. Nope that is not it.
While the girls were modelling, the ABBA song, "Dancing Queen" was playing. I really like ABBA songs. I think they are a lot of fun, and I actually will put them on when I clean the house so I can sing along, or on long trips. It makes the work and driving go faster. A girl behind us moaned, "oh, not Mamma Mia!" OK really, did she think the name of the group singing was Mamma Mia. I really believe so. Sad, but true.
Ok, the next thing. Two of the laurels are in the Student Government. They were discussing a huge state-wide activity they had attended that included a dance. They were commenting on how many phone numbers they got for different guys around the state. So, I started to tell them that my friends and I had done that, too. Only we used to get guys addresses so we could write them. They said "Addresses! To write them! Are you serious" Yes girls, before the days of cell phones and texting, we YW had to get plain addresses and write real letters. They thought this was hilarious. One even said "Next time I am at a dance I am going to ask a guy for his address, so I can write him, and see what he says."
Alright, third and final moment of the night. We were driving home from the activity, talking about Prom. The discussion came up of creative ways to ask to a dance. I told them that the guy I was dating in high school asked me to the prom by singing to me in our Senior Hall (rows of senior lockers) and he sang the song that Tom Cruise sings in the movie Top Gun to get a date. (He was a big fan of Top Gun) He had a big speaker and microphone and everyone started singing in on the chorus ("You've lost that Loving feeling"). It really was quite fun. So the girls went silent. "What is Top Gun?" I couldn't believe it, never even heard of Top Gun. Ok, that dates me. I am old. They didn't even know the movie. Sad, Sad, Sad. This movie even comes on TV sometimes.
Someday, I may have to admit that I am getting older, but today is not the day. High School, College, my wedding and even my little babies being born seemed to happen just yesterday.
{ Parker's Senior Pictures }
8 years ago
9 comments:
Not knowing Top Gun? That is a classic. I know that dates me too! I think we just get better with time and honestly, for the most part, I like where I am now!
ha ha on the addresses - I was never that brave
Don't worry Robyn...I'm still older...you'll always be "young" to me!
I can't believe they didn't know Top Gun!?!? That is a classic! And that is really cool that your date asked you that way! Wow! I'm impressed :)
I guess I was out of the loop on writing guys. I never went to a state-wide or any activity where I met guys from farther away than the tri-stake area and I never would have thought to write them. I guess you were the social butterfly and I was the wallflower!
I just watched the movie Mama Mia! That comment made me laugh. Well, it was way before they were born. Sounds like it's a fun calling, anyway :)
Yeah, I'm starting to feel old too. Even I was in the generation of getting addresses....
In college we did transition to emails....
We can't be getting older, they just must be getting younger....I guess that doesn't work does it.
YES--you be OLD... O L D!
AND, I somehow missed E's b-day post...happy day girl and the post was hilarious! Tweens---scarey!
If you REALLY want to have a hard time fighting off "old" feelings, try working in a high school. When you see the sixth graders you used to sub for graduate, it is rather depressing. It's impossible to ignore the passing of time when it's paraded in front of you like that!
(But we're not old. WE'RE NOT!)
Ha, Robyn :) YW Pres :) WOW!!! I just love Young women's... it's so fun and keeps us so young :) Although, I'm not in it now, I still love it. I remember when Travis did that song... I tell my boys about it and how creative it was. It's fun to reminise and remember the GOOD OL DAYS!!!
I love this! Maybe because I can totally relate.
I was just released from YW and am missing it. Good times - then and now.
Post a Comment